Progressing from my project last week, utilising some Robert Allen upholstery samples (purchased from a recycle centre for $1), I mentioned I have been scheming up a plan to use the rest of these pretty fabric squares. My second project is now complete; a patchwork dress.
It has taken me the best part of a week to complete. I used a pattern I have from my collection; New Look 6577.
I discovered my thrifted pattern did not come with instructions, so I cut relevant pattern pieces, and winged it.
There was not enough samples to complete a full dress. I thought I might have to buy (thrift) some fabric to match the upholstery samples, but instead, used what I already had; a pale pink fabric for the back of my dress, a light blue fabric for lining (although in photos actually looks lilac), and a reclaimed zip. This is the first time I have fully lined a dress, completed by trial and (a few) errors.
When I first completed this dress, I had an awful big gape at the back of my neck. After googling for some advice, I'd either cut this dress pattern to the wrong size, have a narrow upper back, or both. I had to un-pick the zip, completely remove it, cut into the back (risky), and re-sew. Time consuming, but thankfully got it right the second time.
I used leftover cut away patches to sew a fabric flower, backed with eco-fi felt, and hair grips, so that I can either wear it in my hair, or on a band around my waist. I chose a white silk scarf to tie around my waist as a belt, as I felt it looked a little plain without anything.