De-cluttering and clothes swapping

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My wardrobe is a mess. This is probably due to long history of thrifting, eBaying and second hand market shopping ..whoopsie. On first glance, I would say 75% of my wardrobe consists of second-hand purchased garments. The remaining 25% I bought new at some point. My last item of new-new (not second hand 'new') fashion I purchased was from Zara and TopShop, in London, August 2009. I give myself a pat on the pack for sticking to my sustainable fashion guns, and resisting the urge to buy from the high street. And you know something? I don't miss retail shopping one bit.

Back to the matter in hand; my wardrobe mess. With the warmer weather slowly working its way in, I am feeling the need to spring clean.

Image c/o we heart it

Now I have started sorting through my wardrobe, I notice how many garments look remarkably similar. Are four pairs of tan/brown vintage and vintage-esque boots, ankle to knee length, a little excessive? Probably, but sorry wardrobe space, but these guys will be staying:


I do try selling clothes on eBay, but it can be time consuming, frustrating and expensive in fees if the items do not sell. I will be refashioning some of my wardrobe, but not everything can be saved. Of course I will be donating to the op shop, but there are some really good labels I am a little reluctant to part with, despite the fact they remain unworn.

I read about a clothes swapping event on Hayley Lau's blog Thinker Maker, which I'd not heard of before. It is called The Clothing Exchange.

"Since 2004, thousands of super-savvy ladies have made their way to our signature swaps with bags-full of fashions, fads and styles in tow. Our regular exchange events are a treasure trove of fabulous frocks, nice knits, slick suits and a colorful array of accessories. When the shop opens excited guests share histories of garments given and parade the one’s they’ve got. Buttons are the only currency that counts to buy a whole ‘new’ wardrobe at the exchange! Swap to shop and save your pennies and the planet!"

I've managed to score myself a ticket to the Spring Frock Swap at Federation Square, Melbourne this Friday 10th Sept from 6.30pm, with thanks to Stylewilderness who will be organising a craft table at the event.

Readers may be thinking why am I swapping stuff for more stuff? Well, the master plan is to de-clutter, rid my wardrobe of the unworn, and replace with a smaller amount of well-fitted quality garments that I will actually wear....hmm, well, that is the plan.

I will show n' tell the stuff I swapped on a blog post after this Friday. I'm excited about it! In the meantime, have any other blog readers attended a clothes swapping event somewhere in the world? I'd be interested to hear about it.

2 comments:

PJ said...

um, don't worry about your boot 'collection'. Did you see my latest post on shoes?!

hed. said...

If I was lighter and lived in Melb I would so be there! Take pictures if you can :)

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated, thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...